Translate

Monday, January 7, 2013

Now, Zammie! Shoot it now!


Tisquantum made a signal to me step back behind the large oak I was next to and prepare to shoot. Then he silently signaled to the other Indians to move to the far side of the deer. To do this, the three men crawled on their bellies like lizards. They moved slowly and deftly through the trees while the deer continued to feed in the open meadow. The sweat was dripping down the sides of my head and into my headband as I patiently waited. I breathed slowly, careful not to move a muscle. If I did anything to scare those deer off now I would lose all face before the others.
Once they had positioned themselves on the opposite side of the deer from me, Tisquantum and the other hunters jumped to their feet and began whooping and running towards the deer. Both deer looked to flee but they were surrounded on three sides so they began sprinting into the trees in the only direction available to them. Straight towards me.
I quickly realized what was happening. I readied my bow and kept hidden behind the oak. I peered around the tree and saw both deer bounding in my direction.
I gathered my nerve, stepped out from the tree, and took aim at the closest deer. It was the large buck. Man, it was a magnificent animal in motion, darting through the trees like a fish through water. Strong and powerful.
It was barely ten yards away. It saw me and changed its direction. 
Now, Zammie! Shoot it now!
I released the arrow and it zipped through the dangling tree leaves in a straight line. It found its target and landed flush into the upper neck of the deer. The animal’s legs buckled and it made a weird bleating sound that broke my heart before crashing headfirst into the ground. The female had also changed direction, and in an instant she had vanished into the forest.
Tisquantum and the other Indians swooped through the trees like lightning strikes and finished off the buck with a short spear before it had a chance to recover and run away. It was a huge animal, and every part of it would be used by the Natives: the meat and the innards to eat, the bladder was used as a pouch, the fur and skin for clothing, the antlers and hooves for decorative apparel, the sinews for sewing and bow strings, and even the bones would be used to create tools or toys.
“A good catch,” said Quadequina. He had been looking at the face and antlers attempting to determine the age. The arrow had penetrated right through the neck and was beginning to poke out on the opposite side.
My adrenaline levels had never been higher. My hands were trembling with energy and I swear I couldn’t feel the ground as I walked. 

-- Hunting Trip
from Time Trip #3: Witness to the First Thanksgiving



TIME TRIP ADVENTURE 4
KILLING FOR COUNTRY  
Available at Amazon.com

TIME TRIP ADVENTURE 1
THE JOURNEY TO ANCIENT GREECE 
Available at Amazon.com!

TIME TRIP ADVENTURE 2
A RIDE ON THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD
Available at Amazon.com!

TIME TRIP ADVENTURE 3
WITNESS TO THE FIRST THANKSGIVING 
Available at Amazon.com!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment. We will review and post your comment as soon as possible.